Saturday, February 7, 2015

Wind and Wire issue 4 is now online and ready for viewing

Click here to view issue 4 which was published November/December of 1997.

Controversy reared its ugly head with this issue in two ways. The first controversy was centered round the Steve Roach interview. I did not interview Steve, instead the interview was done by Stu Daniels, owner of Dark Star Books and Music in Milwaukee (I got to know Stu way before Wind and Wire as I was customer in his store whenever I went back to Milwaukee). I was in a hurry to get this issue to print (I was perpetually late with publishing issues as you will read about in upcoming issue editorials) and forgot to put any kind of intro to Stu's interview (in my defense, Stu didn't provide one either). So, the interview starts out with the first question without any prelude, which is pretty damn awkward. Steve understandably was upset and I heard about it from Stu. As a result, when part 2 of the interview ran next issue, I did my best to smooth things over.

The bigger controversy erupted from my editorial when I took a few people in the business to task for their stances on two concerns. Dudley Evenson of Soundings of the Planet never had any objection to what I wrote about what she said (and to this day has never mentioned it to me), but the late Paul Scott (who was head of New World Music's US operations and was married to the late new age music promoter and critic, PJ Birosik) DID object to my quoting him and criticizing his views. It became a big deal with threatened legal action (I was falsely accused of copyright infringement). However, one letter from my lawyer and it was put to rest. Phew!

For ambient fans, and for me personally, the saddest part of revisiting this issue is my interview with the late Barry Craig who recorded as A Produce, and who died suddenly in September of 2011. Barry and I had MANY phone conversations during the early days of Wind and Wire and he was a constant source to me of encouragement and support. One thing in particular stays with me to this day. I was discouraged at the lack of subscribers I had and how things didn't seem to be going well (around issue 3) and Barry told me "Just hang in there...lots of people need to see consistency in your efforts, just as they do with musicians. Anyone can put out 1 or 2 good albums, but as you build a discography, people start to take you seriously. So, just keep publishing and maintaining the same quality you have so far and it will take hold and people will start to notice and pay attention." His words bolstered me and I charged ahead for 2 more years, until the money ran out. Barry and I didn't stay much in touch in latter years before his passing and certainly wish we had. The world is a lesser place without him in it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bill I can't imagine the effort and time that must have gone into producing a magazine with such consistent quality of writing. I'm not much of a musicbiz reader but I found myself engrossed in the articles in both this and the previous issue.

If you can keep them coming it would be such a treat. The historical aspect alone is really interesting, and many of the issues being discussed seem as relevant today as they were back then.

You must be very proud of what you achieved on what I assume was a shoestring. Thanks and well done, Mike